Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Whew!

Tomorrow it's back to work - real work. We have busted our butts since Thursday to get as much as we can unpacked and to organize this house. Too bad the large dumpsters that were around the street were taken away the day we moved in. Lucky for Freecycle - lots of takers for all of our boxes, which meant we didn't have to break them down and keep them for a week until garbage day.

I had such a good time buying lots of new stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday! Then I found some great stuff on Craigslist during this last week too. Some exterior trim painting was done by the Ryan crew today here. we called the Service Center for some touch up painting in here from the damage the movers did and I put a ticket in to have our front door touched up too.

Interesting note about the electrical outlets. They are "childproof". It requires quite an amount of force to get a plug in along with some wiggling. That is something I am getting used to. But whenever I run our vacuum, the fuse trips. Our cable guy told us this would happen, not Ryan Homes. It happens almost immediately once I start using it. Right now I have a surge protector plugged into the vacuum cord and it solved the problem. I'm going to have to ask about this annoyance. I am really bummed that I didn't get the central vacuum system. I bought a second vacuum today so I don't have to lug it from the basement up to the top floor.

A great friend of ours came today to install those Closetmaid wire closet systems. I should have told Ryan not to install the 1 wire rack in each closet. We took them all down and reused them along with alot more to make the best use of the space in there.

I am a little concerned about our windows. I noticed today that the screens are pretty loose and there's a gap between the top of the screen and the window frame that holds it in. It's big enough for bees to crawl in - which happened today. I've tried to adjust them but it's not making a difference.

I'll try to post some pictures with my next post of lots of different stuff here. And, we do have 2 formal inspections with Ryan homes - at 45 days and 10 months. After that it's all warranty issues. There's a nice binder that you get at your pre move-in inspection that explains alot of this and gives you tons of home maintenance tips.

8 comments:

bdeandel said...

I am assuming based on other reading that your windows are Patriot Windows...was there an option to upgrade windows to Pella or Anderson.

ThriftyAmy said...

I do not recall any option for our windows. I did read lots of negative stuff on the web about the windows, but I was quickly reassured when Ryan Homes got the Energy Star rating for their entire home. Even more impressive were the results of my homes inspection by the Energy Star folks with the tightness of the home. The screen issue will only come into play with determined bees I supposed. Only time will tell if this is going to be a real problem.

bdeandel said...

Have you found out anything about why your vacuum causes the fuse to trip...that should definitely NOT be happening...especially with a new house.

J Vaughn said...

I also wanted to say thx for ur blog. Ryan broke ground last week on my new house and I'm excited to see that they can keep the aggresive schedule they promissed.
I've been especially impressed with my sales rep. Ryan tried to push back construction on my house by 1-2 months so that they could build homes that qualified for the tax credit ( I don't :( ). Anyway my rep stood firm and kept me in line based on when I signed. Yay!

ThriftyAmy said...

@bdeandel - I called finally today. I partially forgot about it. It's one of those things you don't remember until it happens. I'll update once I know more.

@J Vaughn - great to hear you did some negotiating and if you're happy about the final outcome then that's all that matters. We built a Florence in +/- 72 days. I'd say that was an aggressive schedule and they delivered the exact day they were supposed to. Kudos to your rep. for sticking up for you too.

Stuckey2010 said...

Anyone building a Venice? Curious how long they promise.
Westbrook Estates...

bdeandel said...

Would be interested to hear from anyone who either has built an Avalon or is planning to build one.

bdeandel said...

ThrifyAmy...would also love to see some pictures of the finished product