Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Property Records

Did you know that even with new construction homes you can go to your local county/city auditor's website to look up the property transfers? Kinda neat to see the purchase amounts of the houses in our neighborhood and on our street. Even for the same model house - the prices vary widely from one house to the next!

Landscaping thought - be mindful of your dryer vent. We had a hydrangea bush planted in front of the dryer vent (unknowingly) and watched it go from healthy, to withered, to healthy, and then back to withered - until we realized why - DUH! It's now been moved and is living well somewhere else in our yard!

Tomorrow the correction to the grade of our lawn on the side of our house is supposed to be done so the electrical box doesn't look like it's in a sink hole. I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't know if you've ever felt this way while waiting for your lawn to come in, but I can not tell you how bad I want to walk through nice, lush grass in my barefeet - and can't because my grass isn't so lush and there's not much to it!!! Patience is not my best quality! And this lawn growing is really trying my patience!

11 comments:

Kristine said...

I think we're going to have the same issues with our grass too! They probably won't be able to seed our lawn until June of next year!

ThriftyAmy said...

Next year!?!? When do you move in?

k m said...

Amy, I just wanted to thank you for this blog. I've been reading for months and last week we jumped in and signed papers to build our Ryan home! Your tips and insights have been so helpful!
I hope you don't mind, but I've stolen your idea for a blog and started my own to document our journey. Thanks for the inspiration!

ThriftyAmy said...

@ k m
Good for you!! I'll put you on my blog roll!! I truly take it as a compliment to see all these Ryan Home blogs popping up now!

bdeandel said...

ThrifyAmy - question about landscaping - besides the yard, how much landscaping (shrubs, plants, and trees) if any are included in the price of the house. How much say do you have and do you have options to pick from?

k m said...

This isn't related to what you wrote one this post, but I was wondering 2 things about your kitchen. I don't remember reading about these in your upgrades post.

1. Did you upgrade your countertops or did you stick with the laminate? Whatever you did, it looks great!

2. Did you tile your kitchen floor or get vinyl?


Thanks!

ThriftyAmy said...

@k m: We didn't upgrade the counters. It's laminate - it looks so much like granite and we really liked it so we spent $ elsewhere in the house. We also did not upgrade any of the flooring - went with vinyl in the kitchen, but it looks so much like ceramic. We get lots of compliments on both choices all the time. Glad you like it too! I think the counter top is called butter-rum granite? or Butter-nut granite? Even has "granite" in the name!

ThriftyAmy said...

@bdeandel - nothing is included with the house for landscaping other than the installation of the lawn with rock-hounding, seed and straw. We upgraded our seed mixture, but you can not roll any of that cost into the house - it's all separate out of pocket, just like the Guardian options.

bdeandel said...

so for all your landscaping plants and shrubs and trees you had to contract that out or does Ryan Homes provide you with someone to work with...I am assuming the same goes for a deck on the back as well.

ThriftyAmy said...

I did ask for a recommendation for the sprinkler system. I got 3 bids and was most impressed by the company Ryan recommended so i went with them. As for the lawn, they pick the company for the install. The landscaping was done by my husband and a couple of his friends who do it on the side. I did ask for a recommendation for the concrete patio we're going to put in next year. They guy for that job said not to do it this year because of settling. He gave us a price and I will keep his info for next year - for him to make such an honest statement like that was very impressive and I will remember that when it's time to give the job to someone. I will get a quote from other people I know too next year.

k m said...

Thanks for the information about your kitchen. We actually picked that same countertop. It looks great! I thought for sure it was granite. And your vinyl looks like tile. I feel so much better about our selections now. Thanks!